What Happened When I Stopped Focusing on the Scale
I didn't leave home this summer thinking I was going on a weight-loss journey.
Actually, quite the opposite.
Before I left, I had been frustrated. I felt like I had hit a plateau. The scale wasn't moving the way I wanted it to, and there were even times when I wondered if I was gaining.
I was thinking about my weight.
Watching the numbers.
Wondering what I was doing wrong.
And then I left.
I packed up my car, loaded up Zen, and headed out on the road.
What happened next surprised me.
I started living differently.
I wasn't following a strict workout program.
I wasn't spending hours in a gym.
I wasn't counting every step because I was trying to reach some magic number.
I was simply moving because there were places I wanted to explore.
I was walking through state parks.
Walking along beaches.
Exploring new towns.
Hiking around campgrounds.
Walking because I wanted to see what was around the next corner.
I was outside for much of the day instead of sitting inside watching television or getting caught up in the usual distractions of home.
And somewhere along the way, something changed.
Not just my surroundings.
My lifestyle changed.
The numbers tell part of the story
When I came home and looked at my numbers, I was honestly surprised.
My weight was 124.8 pounds—7.6 pounds less than when I started my road trip.
I'd lost 12.25 inches across my body, and my BMI had dropped by 2.11.
But what really caught my attention was the difference in my movement.
Here are my monthly step totals compared with the same months the previous year:
July
2025: 343,250
2026: 465,478
August
2025: 280,793
2026: 658,768
September
2025: 391,367
2026: 614,296
That's a pretty significant difference.
And yet, I wasn't walking around thinking:
"I need to get my steps in."
I was thinking:
"I wonder what's over there?"
There's a difference.
I wasn't exercising. I was experiencing.
This became especially noticeable when I started seeing how many people were camping in some of the most beautiful places—and then spending much of their time inside their motorhomes watching TV.
And I'm not judging that.
Sometimes we absolutely need to rest.
Sometimes sitting inside is exactly what we need.
But it made me think about how easy it is to be somewhere without actually experiencing where we are.
And we can do the same thing at home.
We sit.
We scroll.
We watch.
We think about going somewhere.
We think about getting healthier.
We think about exercising.
We think about changing our lives.
And meanwhile, life is happening right outside the door.
This summer, I wasn't thinking about exercise nearly as much.
I was thinking about living.
And living required movement.
Sometimes the body follows the life you're living
I think this is one of the most interesting things I learned.
I didn't set out to lose weight.
I set out to live.
To explore.
To get outside.
To experience new places.
To say yes to things that scared me.
To walk through places I'd never seen.
To meet people.
To follow curiosity.
And my body changed along with that lifestyle.
Now, I want to be careful here.
I'm not saying that everyone who takes a road trip will lose weight.
I'm not saying walking more automatically produces the same results for everyone.
I'm simply sharing what happened in my own life when my daily habits and environment changed.
And that distinction matters.
Because sometimes we're so focused on fixing our bodies that we forget to look at the life we're asking our bodies to live.
Then came the clothing surprise π
There was another little sign that things had changed.
My clothes started getting really big.
I hadn't packed for a road trip thinking, I wonder how many sizes I'll drop? π
While travelling, I actually had to start buying XS clothing instead of the Mediums I'd packed.
Not exactly the time—or the budget—for a whole new wardrobe!
But it was one of those moments when I realized just how much my body had changed without me focusing on it every single day.
I was busy living.
Walking.
Exploring.
Moving.
Being outside.
And then suddenly my clothes were telling me something the scale hadn't quite shown as clearly.
Sometimes change happens quietly while we're busy doing something else.
Maybe wellness is bigger than the scale
This experience has made me think differently about wellness.
What if wellness isn't simply about eating the right foods, getting the right workout, or making the number on the scale go down?
What if it's also about creating a life that naturally supports movement, connection, curiosity, joy and energy?
What if we stopped asking:
"How do I make myself exercise?"
And started asking:
"What kind of life would make me want to move?"
What if we stopped asking:
"How do I lose weight?"
And also asked:
"How do I want to feel? How do I want to live? What do I want my body to help me experience?"
Those are different questions.
And sometimes a different question leads us to a completely different way of living.
I came home with more than memories
This summer changed more than my itinerary.
It changed the way I think about movement.
It reminded me that our bodies are meant to participate in our lives—not simply carry us from one obligation to the next.
Movement doesn't always have to look like a workout.
Sometimes it's walking because there's a waterfall ahead.
Sometimes it's climbing a hill because you want to see the view.
Sometimes it's wandering through a new town.
Sometimes it's throwing a ball for your dog.
Sometimes it's gardening.
Sometimes it's simply getting outside instead of staying inside.
And sometimes, it's saying yes to life when your old habit would have been to stay comfortable.
I came home with memories, stories, new experiences and a much deeper appreciation for what my body is capable of.
The weight and measurements are interesting.
But honestly?
They're not the part I'm most excited about.
I'm more excited that I lived differently.
And maybe that's the real lesson.
You don't always have to focus harder on changing yourself.
Sometimes you can change the way you're living—and let the rest unfold from there.
Get out of your head.
Get into your life.
Get your body moving.
And see what happens. πΏ
#LifeWiseLiving #AlignedLiving #WellnessJourney #HealthyLiving #ActiveLiving #MovementIsMedicine #MidlifeWellness #WomenOver50 #WellnessOver50 #HealthyAging #LifestyleChange #LiveWisely #LiveIntentionally #GetIntoYourLife
Comments
Post a Comment