When Did I Become This Person?
The quiet evidence of growth
Sometimes growth is obvious.
You reach a goal.
You check something off your list.
You accomplish the thing you’ve been working toward.
But sometimes growth is much quieter.
It shows up in something that suddenly feels normal.
And you don't even realize it until you stop and think:
Wait… when did I become this person?
That thought hit me recently while I was driving.
Not because I was doing anything particularly extraordinary.
I was just driving.
And that’s exactly what made me realize how much had changed.
A few years ago, I was scared to drive.
I had hit black ice, and after that experience, driving could put me on high alert.
It changed how comfortable I felt behind the wheel.
Even the last time I drove in the United States, back in 2018, it didn't feel like something I particularly enjoyed.
I remember the feeling of being much more cautious.
Much more aware.
Much more nervous about what could happen.
Fast forward to now.
I'm driving through the United States.
I'm travelling.
I'm exploring places I've never been.
I'm navigating unfamiliar roads.
I'm figuring things out as I go.
And I'm not spending the entire time thinking about everything that could go wrong.
I'm actually enjoying myself.
๐
And honestly, that realization made me smile.
Because somewhere along the way, something changed.
I changed.
Growth doesn't always announce itself
We tend to think transformation is supposed to feel dramatic.
We imagine a big breakthrough.
A major accomplishment.
A before-and-after picture.
But sometimes transformation is simply realizing that something which once required enormous courage now feels like Tuesday.
You don't notice all the little moments that got you there.
The first time you drove a little farther.
The first time you tried something outside your comfort zone.
The first time you realized, I can handle this.
The next time you did it again.
And again.
Until eventually, you weren't thinking about it anymore.
You were just living.
That's growth.
And I think we do this in so many areas of our lives
Maybe it's speaking up for yourself.
Maybe it's travelling alone.
Maybe it's trying something new.
Maybe it's starting a business.
Maybe it's setting a boundary.
Maybe it's going somewhere you've never been.
Maybe it's simply trusting yourself a little more than you used to.
We often focus so much on what we're trying to become that we forget to notice who we've already become.
We're looking at the next mountain while standing on top of one we already climbed.
And I don't want to do that anymore.
I want to notice.
I want to celebrate the little evidence.
Because the evidence is everywhere if we're willing to look.
The woman who was afraid to drive is now driving across the country
There is something almost funny about it when I really think about it.
The woman who once didn't want to drive because of black ice is now out here driving thousands of miles, exploring, camping, navigating unfamiliar places and saying:
"Okay… what's next?"
๐
I didn't become fearless.
I simply became more willing.
More curious.
More trusting of myself.
More willing to discover what I was capable of.
And I think that's an important distinction.
Growth doesn't necessarily mean becoming someone who is never afraid.
Sometimes it means becoming someone who doesn't let fear make every decision.
What about you?
What are you doing today that an earlier version of you would have been afraid to do?
What feels normal now that once felt impossible?
What have you learned?
What have you survived?
What have you figured out?
What are you willing to try now that you weren't ready for five years ago?
Maybe it's time to stop asking only:
"What do I still need to accomplish?"
And start asking:
"How far have I actually come?"
Because sometimes the greatest evidence of your growth isn't a number, a title, a destination or a goal you've checked off.
Sometimes it's simply the way you move through life now.
With more confidence.
More curiosity.
More freedom.
More willingness to say, "Why not?"
And maybe that's what Aligned Living is really about.
Not becoming a completely different person.
But becoming more fully yourself.
Learning from where you've been.
Listening to where you are.
And staying open to who you might become next.
So today, take a look back.
Not to criticize the person you were.
Not to wish you'd changed sooner.
But to appreciate her.
She got you here.
And maybe the person you are today is doing the same thing for the woman you'll become next.
I'm not starting over.
I'm becoming.
And sometimes becoming looks a lot like realizing:
"Wow… look at me. I'm actually doing this." ✨
Comments
Post a Comment