LOOK HOW FAR YOU'VE COMEWhy Looking Back Is Part of Moving Forward

We're often told to keep our eyes on the goal.

Look ahead.

Set the next target.

Push harder.

Do more.

Be better.

And while I absolutely believe in growth, goals and upleveling, I've learned something along the way:

Sometimes the most important thing you can do before moving forward is look back.

Not to live in the past.

Not to judge yourself.

Not to criticize everything you didn't do.

But to recognize how far you've come.

My Month-End Review

One of the practices I've developed is doing a review at the end of each month.

I look at the month that just ended, but I also like to compare it to previous years.

This month, I decided to go back to 2024.

That year is significant for me because I remember being on a cruise, seeing a picture of myself and having a very clear thought:

“What?! No. That's not the wellness image I want to share with the world.”

It wasn't about hating myself.

It wasn't about deciding I wasn't enough.

It was simply a moment of awareness.

I saw something I wasn't happy with, and I realized I wanted to make different choices.

That moment became a starting point.

And sometimes that's all awareness needs to be.

A starting point.

Then I Looked at the Numbers

I track certain things because numbers can help tell a story.

One of those things is my steps.

In August 2024, I walked:

141,147 steps.

In August 2025:

273,488 steps.

And in August 2026:

660,712 steps.

I actually had to look at the number twice.

660,712.

That's more than half a million additional steps in a month compared with where I was two years ago.

Then I looked at my weight.

September 2024:

167.2 lbs

August 2025:

148.4 lbs

August 2026:

126.4 lbs

The numbers are significant.

But they're not the story.

They're simply evidence of a story that happened over time.

The Story Is in the Choices

The numbers don't tell you about every walk.

Every adventure.

Every healthier choice.

Every time I chose movement.

Every time I learned something.

Every time I adjusted.

Every time I listened to my body.

Every time I decided to keep going.

And they certainly don't tell you about the mindset shifts.

That's where the real transformation happens.

Because sustainable change isn't usually one enormous decision.

It's hundreds of little decisions repeated over time.

And sometimes those decisions don't even feel significant when you're making them.

Until you look back.

And realize…

Wow. I've really changed.

This Is Why I Believe in Reflection

Reflection is one of the most valuable parts of Aligned Living.

Before I decide what needs to change, I want to know what is already working.

I want to celebrate where I excelled.

I want to acknowledge my progress.

I want to appreciate the things I did well.

And then I want to look honestly at the areas that could use some attention.

Not with criticism.

With curiosity.

Instead of:

“Why didn't I do better?”

I can ask:

“What can I learn from this?”

Instead of:

“I failed at that.”

I can ask:

“What would make this easier or more sustainable next time?”

Instead of:

“I have so far to go.”

I can ask:

“How far have I already come?”

That shift matters.

Awareness Before Action

This is one of the reasons I created the ALIGNED Method™.

A — Awareness

Before we can intentionally change something, we have to be willing to see it.

Where are you?

What's working?

What's not?

What patterns are showing up?

What are you proud of?

What needs your attention?

Awareness isn't judgment.

It's information.

And information gives us choices.

Don't Let Your Next Goal Erase Your Previous Growth

This is something I think many of us do.

We reach one goal…

and immediately move the finish line.

We lose the weight…

and focus on the next five pounds.

We establish the habit…

and decide we should be doing more.

We accomplish something we've worked toward for months…

and barely pause before asking:

“What's next?”

I'm all for what's next.

But not at the expense of celebrating what's already happened.

Your next goal should build on your growth.

It shouldn't erase it.

So Here's Your Month-End Challenge

Take 20 minutes.

You don't need a fancy journal.

You don't need a spreadsheet.

Just create a little space to reflect.

Ask yourself:

What did I accomplish this month?

What am I proud of?

Where did I excel?

What worked well?

What challenged me?

What did I learn?

Where could I improve?

What do I want to do differently next month?

And then go back further.

Look at where you were six months ago.

A year ago.

Maybe even two years ago.

Look at old photographs.

Your journals.

Your calendars.

Your health or wellness tracking.

Your habits.

Your accomplishments.

Your life.

And ask the question we so often forget to ask:

How far have I actually come?

You might be surprised.

And Then Look Forward

Once you've reflected, celebrate.

Then ask:

What's next?

Not:

“What do I need to fix?”

But:

“What do I want to explore?”

“What do I want to learn?”

“Where do I want to grow?”

“What would my next uplevel look like?”

That's the difference between living from criticism and living from alignment.

You don't have to dislike who you are today to become more tomorrow.

You don't have to believe you're not enough.

You can love where you are…

and still be excited about where you're going.

You're Not Starting Over

As September begins, you may feel that familiar pull to “get back on track.”

Back to school.

Back to work.

Back to routines.

Back to discipline.

And if summer caused some of your habits to slip, that's okay.

You don't need to punish yourself.

You don't need to start over.

You're building on what you've already learned.

Take what worked.

Learn from what didn't.

Celebrate the progress.

Make the adjustments.

And take your next aligned step.

Because your past isn't there to judge you.

It's there to teach you.

And sometimes the most powerful motivation for your next chapter isn't looking at how far you still have to go.

It's turning around…

and realizing:

Look how far you've come. 🌿

---

YOUR NEXT ALIGNED STEP

Take a moment today to write down:

Three things I'm proud of:

1. ---

2. ---

3. ---

One thing I learned:

---

One area I want to improve:

---

One adjustment I'll make:

---

One thing I'm excited about for the month ahead:

---

And finally:

What would your next uplevel look like?

You don't have to answer it perfectly.

Just start listening.

That's where alignment begins.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Ways to Live Life Wisely

Why Peptides Are Changing the Functional Wellness Conversation

The Healing Power of Forgiveness: A Wellness Practice for the Mind, Body & Spirit